The Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet
The Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet are continuing Santa Marta's tradition of Catholic Health care with a special concern for the poor. Seated left to right are: Sister Catherine Marie Kreta, Sister Jane Frances Power (a Sister of St. Joseph of Orange and chair of Santa Marta's board of directors), and Sister Thomas Bernard MacConnell.
Standing (left to right are: Sister Kieran Vaughan, Sister Sharon Margaret Ninteman, Sister Louise Bernstien, and Sister Carol Marie Purzycki.
The Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet were established in Lepuy, France in 1650 when six women were consecrated to God as Sisters of St. Joseph and began serving the "dear neighbor in a hospital. Victims of persecution and suffering during the French Revolution, the Sisters were disbanded until 1807.
Twenty-nine years later, six sisters came to the little Spanish town of Carondelet, Missouri, and established a small school for the deaf. The name Carondelet had become a well-established part of the Sisters' formal identification by 1916, when the Sisters who had settled in Lewiston, Idaho, were asked to provide hospital services for Pasco. The need for health care in the southeastern Washington town was so great that in 1921 a five story hospital was built, dedicated and named for Mary, the Lady of Lourdes, France.
That same spirit which moved the first women in the 17th century to respond to the needs of the people is found today in the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet who sponsor Our Lady of Lourdes Health Center and Behavioral Health Center. br>